Steve is the founder and owner of S. Kaplan CPA, a practice focused on dispute resolution services.
He has over three decades’ experience in public practice and is also accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) in addition to holding an MBA in taxation, giving Steve the “seen it all” experience to help clients with their dispute resolution, settlement support, business valuation and forensic accounting needs.
Steve has lectured on a variety of tax, valuation, forensic accounting, collaborative practice and matrimonial dissolution topics for several organizations including the New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA), the New York Association of Collaborative Professionals (NYACP), the Hudson Valley Collaborative Divorce and Dispute Resolution Association (HVCDDRA), the Family Divorce and Mediation Council (FDMC), the Collaborative Law Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania (CLASP), the New York State Bar, the Financial Planning Association and the Foundation for Accounting Education. In addition, Steve has shared his expertise by writing articles for the CPA Journal, the CPA Litigation Service Counselor and the National Litigation Consultants’ Review. He has appeared on the PBS program, “Dollar for Dollar,” and served as a tax editor and consultant for Thompson Publishing Co. and Harcourt Brace Professional Publishing.
Born in New York City and raised in Rockland County, Steve now calls Rye Brook home with Fern, his wife of over 20 years. They have two sons, one in high school and one at Duke University. When not assisting clients, Steve enjoys traveling to places where he can take in different cultures, history and cuisine, spending time with his family, and being involved in his local community. He is an avid fan of technology in the office and out and boasts an interesting assortment of gadgets, both useful and novelty alike. Steve and Fern are also dedicated to raising awareness and support for several organizations including the Foundation Fighting Blindness, the Ocular Genomics Institute at Mass Eye and the Ear Institute of Harvard Medical School.
- B.S. Accounting – State University of New York at Albany (1986)
- MBA Taxation – Zicklin School of Business, Bernard M. Baruch College (1992)
- Settlement support services
- Collaborative practice (divorce and civil)
- Business valuation for divorce, shareholder disputes, estate and gift tax and mergers and acquisitions
- Shareholder / family business dispute resolution
- Forensic accounting
- Alternative dispute resolution (mediation and arbitration)
- Economic damage analysis and valuation
- Merger and acquisition analysis and consulting
- Technology implementation analysis and strategies
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Member – New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA), Westchester Chapter
- Past President – New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA), Rockland Chapter
- Executive Board Member – Hudson Valley Collaborative Divorce Association (HVCDDRA)
- Past President – Blind Brook – Rye School District Board of Education
- Member – Blind Brook – Rye School District Board of Education Audit Advisory Committee
- Member and Past Treasurer and Board of Directors – New York Association of Collaborative Professionals (NYACP)
- Member – Duke University Parents Advisory Council (DPAC)
- Former Member – NYSSCPA Professional Ethics Committee
- Former Co-Chair – NYSSCPA Westchester Chapter Litigation Support Committee
- Former Member – Aspen Publishing Editorial Advisory Board,
- Former Member – Representative Benjamin Gilman – Economic Advisory Council
- Former Member – North Rockland High School Academy of Finance Advisory Board